How do you keep your eyes and mind fixed on the Lord? It is a daily struggle for all of us. The cares of the world beg for our attention and pull our focus away, just as the prince of the world desires.
We have been very purposeful in our curriculum selections. We wanted to be sure that the curriculum we use would have God and the Bible woven through it, a little harder with math. We want them to be able see to see God's hand in the history and science of the world He created. We go to bible study so they can dig in and know that they know the Lord for themselves. We want to help the girls to have God and His word woven into their day and their activities. We want it to become a habit, a habit that they will miss.
I have struggled at times to weave Him into my day, especially when the girls were littler and demanded more attention. As I look back now I am sad that I was not more purposeful in this habit. I have no doubt that forsaking it led to a time of depression that I really struggled through when Gracie was about 3. I am thankful I had a two good friends who prayed me through. Mothers of little ones, I pray that you will work to weave Him into your day.
It has become my practice to listen to several podcasts, to listen to conferences that were recorded, or to listen online classes. The podcasts I listen to are from Ligonier, The White Horse Inn, Breakpoint, and World Magazine. I am sure there are some other good ones out there that I don't listen to. There are some times that I don't always agree totally. I still listen because I am learning to think more critically of what is being said and taught. Sometimes what I hear breaks my heart and gives me thing to pray about. I have listened to old conferences that Ligonier and a few other ministries have online for free. Sure they are a few years old but most of the time they are still very applicable. I have truly enjoyed some of the classes that RTS (Reformed Theological Seminary) and Westminster Theological Seminary have on iTunesU.
Another practice I have is to go to a bible study. This is a habit I have had since Johanna was a baby. I have attended either a Precepts bible study class or a CBS (Community Bible Study) class. I enjoy them because they are not fluffy. They have homework. Yes, homework. They make you dig into the bible. They do not just give you a little bit of bible to read and then tons of the writers commentary. Solid bible learning! Weekly/daily homework keeps me focused. Bonus of going to a bible study is that you get some time of fellowship.
I could never stayed focused on the Lord if I only went to church on Sunday or even Sunday and mid-week. I need to be saturated or I end up dried up and unfocused.
So as I asked...how do you keep your eyes and mind fixed on the Lord?
We have been very purposeful in our curriculum selections. We wanted to be sure that the curriculum we use would have God and the Bible woven through it, a little harder with math. We want them to be able see to see God's hand in the history and science of the world He created. We go to bible study so they can dig in and know that they know the Lord for themselves. We want to help the girls to have God and His word woven into their day and their activities. We want it to become a habit, a habit that they will miss.
I have struggled at times to weave Him into my day, especially when the girls were littler and demanded more attention. As I look back now I am sad that I was not more purposeful in this habit. I have no doubt that forsaking it led to a time of depression that I really struggled through when Gracie was about 3. I am thankful I had a two good friends who prayed me through. Mothers of little ones, I pray that you will work to weave Him into your day.
It has become my practice to listen to several podcasts, to listen to conferences that were recorded, or to listen online classes. The podcasts I listen to are from Ligonier, The White Horse Inn, Breakpoint, and World Magazine. I am sure there are some other good ones out there that I don't listen to. There are some times that I don't always agree totally. I still listen because I am learning to think more critically of what is being said and taught. Sometimes what I hear breaks my heart and gives me thing to pray about. I have listened to old conferences that Ligonier and a few other ministries have online for free. Sure they are a few years old but most of the time they are still very applicable. I have truly enjoyed some of the classes that RTS (Reformed Theological Seminary) and Westminster Theological Seminary have on iTunesU.
Another practice I have is to go to a bible study. This is a habit I have had since Johanna was a baby. I have attended either a Precepts bible study class or a CBS (Community Bible Study) class. I enjoy them because they are not fluffy. They have homework. Yes, homework. They make you dig into the bible. They do not just give you a little bit of bible to read and then tons of the writers commentary. Solid bible learning! Weekly/daily homework keeps me focused. Bonus of going to a bible study is that you get some time of fellowship.
I could never stayed focused on the Lord if I only went to church on Sunday or even Sunday and mid-week. I need to be saturated or I end up dried up and unfocused.
So as I asked...how do you keep your eyes and mind fixed on the Lord?
No comments:
Post a Comment