Friday, March 4, 2011

Psalm 91

In the last post I wrote I told you that Psalm 91 has popped up numerous times in the last 6 months or so.  Well it has been the theme of the week.  God is just pounding that scripture into my brain and heart.  I have never been very good at memorizing things especially long things.  I just finally got my cell phone memorized after3 years.  Anyway.  I guess I have read and prayed that passage so much over the last 6 months that I have parts memorized to a degree.

On Tuesday night Gracie got sick, the throw-up fever congestion thing.  She has not thrown up since she was 2. She is pretty good at being able to keep herself from throwing up.  Well it must have been really bad for her actually get sick.  She was sick 3 times that night but not at all on Wednesday.  She even ate on Wednesday but by evening I could see the fear creeping in.  I could do nothing to reassure her that she was going to be okay, that she would not be sick again.  At bedtime she brought me her bible she got for her birthday (a "real" bible not the children's version- a big step but she still can't read most of it).  She wanted me to read something out of it.  The first thing that popped into my head was to read her Psalm 91.  I did and then I explained it to her.  I laid with her for a few minutes and she was out.

Fast forward to last night.  Johanna and I have been battling these bug bites.  We had been to the doctor and they were not sure what it was but could tell us what it wasn't.  Not really very helpful so I started looking online.  Ugh!  Fear crept in big time when I thought that we had bed bugs.  I went upstairs and looked and looked but I could see no evidence any where.  I was frustrated because I had just spent a ton of time and money a month earlier to make the house and beds allergy free which also made the bed bug free.  I kept looking online and just kept getting myself more worked up over the fact that we might have bed bugs and how hard they would be to get rid of. It didn't help that I was incredibly itchy last night.  I remembered how much work it was and all I had gone through last year to get rid of the lice that Naomi had gotten from someone.  I was imagining 3x that much work.  I called Ron at work and spilled out my frustrations.  I got off the phone and was in tears.  The first thing that came to mind was a phrase out of Psalm 91, pestilence.  I got my bible and read Psalm 91 and then I prayed it out loud with tears streaming down my face.

God is so good.  Psalm 91 has been a blessing in my life.  It has ministered to my hearts needs in so many ways.  It has been my prayer for my children and many friends.  I will be working more consistently now at memorizing this passage.  I have no idea how else the Lord will use the in my life but I have this deep down feeling that it will be a part of my walk from now on.    God is awesome.  When this passage first popped up multiple times I started praying it for a friend because it just seemed so fitting.  Never did I think it would become such a personal passage.  I do not know why it amazes me but it does, the Lord has every little detail worked out.  He knew that that passage would be in my head for when I needed it.  We have an amazing, wonderful, loving, caring  Most High, Almighty refuge and fortress of a God!

No comments:

Post a Comment